Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have a tow rig. Who wants to fly?
08-11-2012, 02:17 PM,
Tomorrow is looking good in Tipton. Northwest wind turning Southwest 2 to 5 mph. I finished adjusting Bill Finn's previous static tow rig to my car. Anyone interested in trying it?
08-11-2012, 09:05 PM,
Sorry, I won't be able to make it, I am spending the day with my wife.

Kent
08-12-2012, 07:34 AM,
I've got 3 projects I have to finish TODAY.

I need to gently test my glider on a scooter to make sure it's back to air-worthy before static or aerotowing or going off a hill anyway.

I could possibly do some towing Thursday 8/16 afternoon, but due to other peoples' vacations I can't leave Muncie till 3p. So that would make for a short day of towing, but it's a possibility, even if just to operate the tow-rig. The next available day which I could start noonish would be Thursday 8/23, or all day Fri 8/24 (I have a vaca that day).
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-15-2012, 10:47 PM,
Tomorrow will be difficult for me too. Even in theory, I cannot get off before 5:30. Friday 24, should work timewise, provided the weather is OK. However, even if my rig is ready, the Reel Pilots Peter Biren, Gary Solomon, Kim Banker and Alan Abair want me to learn to tow with experienced pilots first and they must be right. So I need to see what week end(s) look good for them and I may not be ready to tow anybody on 8-24. Perhaps Kent would let us use is scooter (but I do not know how to operate it, so we would need another pilot). An instructor from Hang Glide Chicago, Dan Harowicz has offered to organize something with us to sign us off on our surface tow ratings too (he is also an aerotowing instructor). I think it would be good for pilots interested in static towing around here to participate. Any one interested?
08-16-2012, 07:31 PM,
pzirnhel Wrote:Tomorrow will be difficult for me too. Even in theory, I cannot get off before 5:30. Friday 24, should work timewise, provided the weather is OK. However, even if my rig is ready, the Reel Pilots Peter Biren, Gary Solomon, Kim Banker and Alan Abair want me to learn to tow with experienced pilots first and they must be right. So I need to see what week end(s) look good for them and I may not be ready to tow anybody on 8-24. Perhaps Kent would let us use is scooter (but I do not know how to operate it, so we would need another pilot). An instructor from Hang Glide Chicago, Dan Harowicz has offered to organize something with us to sign us off on our surface tow ratings too (he is also an aerotowing instructor). I think it would be good for pilots interested in static towing around here to participate. Any one interested?

Hi, my scooter tow rig will be arriving this Tuesday. You can use it (I have not learned to use it yet either.) I would love to be involved some time when Dan comes to do some surface tow stuff. I should be free on the 24th. Let me know.
08-16-2012, 09:28 PM,
I can do the 24th since I have some notice! I will put it on my calendar so I don't schedule anything besides my weekly Cracker Barrel. I don't mind towing others with Patrick's winch, and if we can talk James Asher into coming out too that would make two of us that have static towed before. I would highly suggest that some of you new to this kind of driving tows could do some ride along's and at least see what to expect.
I would love to be able to talk James into re-upping his instructor rating so that we have a LOCAL instructor again! I think that has been a real hindrance here in central Indiana for several years. Hell, I might even be interested in subsidizing his cost to be able to keep it. I'm not sure even what kinds of cost we are talking about, but in my humble opinion I think it is worth looking into! If we have enough people interested in new ratings or sign-offs it may pay him to go for it! I personally need my hang III rating and a surface tow sign-off. What does everyone else think?
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM,
I'll second the HUGE need to have a rated instructor in Indiana. Let's see what we can do to make this happen. As far as the 24th goes, I might be able to go depending upon where we are talking about. Do we have a location in mind?

Jordan
08-17-2012, 09:04 PM,
Patrick, did you have in mind a group of us traveling to Enjoy Field, or Dan to come here. What ever the case may be, what is the cost to have him instruct or sign us off on tow ratings? Rick Mullens can do this in Ohio for very little expense. I think Kim can show us the way for static towing. I can be availlable for scooter towing Friday 8/24 or travel somewhere.

Kent
08-17-2012, 09:10 PM,
UnleRico Wrote:Hi, my scooter tow rig will be arriving this Tuesday. You can use it (I have not learned to use it yet either.) I would love to be involved some time when Dan comes to do some surface tow stuff. I should be free on the 24th. Let me know.

When we scooter tow, it would be great if you could bring your rig over to give it a test run.

Kent
08-18-2012, 01:31 AM,
I personally am hoping for something reasonably local on the 24th.

I talked to James last night, and he is going to try to make it out on the 24th but we only discussed something local.

Can Rick Mullens administer a surface tow rating?

I'd really still like to see James continue his instructor rating. But I don't know what or how much time and money this entails. Maybe I just need to suck it up and get mine!

Kent Kendall Wrote:Patrick, did you have in mind a group of us traveling to Enjoy Field, or Dan to come here. What ever the case may be, what is the cost to have him instruct or sign us off on tow ratings? Rick Mullens can do this in Ohio for very little expense. I think Kim can show us the way for static towing. I can be availlable for scooter towing Friday 8/24 or travel somewhere.

Kent
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Tow Road Kim Banker 2 9,345 06-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Key for scooter tow rig Kent Kendall 7 5,191 03-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Fly In at Cruzan Field 8/24/13 Kent Kendall 20 4,152 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
  Scooter Tow rig for sale ( not mine ) Kent Kendall 6 2,787 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Last Post: UnleRico
  Closest tow road to Cincinnati kacmazmert 4 2,678 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
  Have glider, can fly Steve Wahl 23 3,938 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: dksmithson
  Questions about a new scooter rig? UnleRico 8 1,837 08-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Kent Kendall
  Let's fly!!! 8/4-5/2012 Michal M. 15 2,264 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
  WesMar First Aero Tow Kyrednekhawk 3 2,107 10-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Kyrednekhawk
  National Hang Gliding & Paragliding Day Fly-In at Cloud 9, Michigan on Saturday, May Kipp 1 842 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Jordan