Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have a tow rig. Who wants to fly?
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM,
I will be there probably around 10:00 or 10:30, at least that is what I'm shooting for. I talked to James around lunchtime today and I am picking him up on my way through Indy. So it looks like we'll have a pretty good group out(at least by Indiana standards). Looking forward to seeing everyone and getting some MUCH NEEDED airtime!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-23-2012, 07:34 PM,
Wow!! That's gonna be the biggest flying party I've seen on Indiana grounds!!!!!!!

I'm excited, can you tell!!! :-)

I'm dropping the kids off at 8am then heading to Tipton. I'm already loaded up, so I should be there by 9am.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT THING:
My wife told me this morning to by a dozen of cupcakes for a picnic at school, and my brain scrambled the information and I bought donuts instead. So I'm bringing about 10 donuts tomorrow and y'all better eat'em!!!!!
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-23-2012, 08:45 PM,
Looking forward to seeing you all in the morning. I plan to be there at 9:00 am.

Kent
08-23-2012, 08:50 PM,
UnleRico Wrote:I am planning to be at the fair grounds at 8 am ish, see you all there.

I don't have a truck to put my tow rig in, so I can't bring it, maybe next time.

If you get there before 9 give me a call.

Kent
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM,
I arrived at the fairgrounds at 9:00 followed shortly by Ian and then Michal. Ian has recently finished training at Lookout Mnt. and recieved his hang two with several launches at Lookout and some at Hensons. But he had not done any scooter towing, so we decided to set up my rig for some short training flights. As the gliders were being set up, Kim and James pull in and then Patrick a short while later. This is exciting to have 5 gliders set up in Tipton on a beautiful warm day with a very lite SE breeze. Michal and James went over all the information and instruction for scooter towing with Ian as I got the tow rig ready. Ian had a couple of tows to about fifty feet and one about 100 and did outstanding. Michal had a short tow to test a few adjustments on his Sport 2 and I think James took a short tow as well. Everyone was ready for some high tows so I moved the rig to the far end of the field. The day was mostly blue with a few cumies popping up to the west of us. James was able to work something but not enough to stay up for long. Everyone had several tows but with not much workable lift. I counted 19 long tows in all. Thanks everyone for coming, I know I had a good time. Hope you did too!

Kent
08-25-2012, 06:00 PM,
Thanks for the write up, Kent.

Yes, indeed! It was SUPER GREAT to see so many gliders set up and flying in Indiana! Too bad the weather wasn't conducive to seeing all those gliders up at the same time ... Ian sure did awesome for his first time scooter towing. His landings were good already and a few pointers they got even better and better as the day went. As a matter of fact, everyone's landings were good the whole day. Not one knee down all day long!!!!

It was also great to see that not only Kent can operate the scooter. Kim did his share of tows and James did some, too. Ian observed as he's learning how to operate his own scooter, I'm not sure that he got to tow anyone yet? Next time, I'm sure ...

My weekends are spoken for from now till Team Challenge. Again, anyone wanting to go with me is welcome. Also, I'll be going to Cary's in OH tomorrow and the invitation is still open to anyone wanting to tag along.
With a few days heads I may be able to clear one day during the week and we can do this again? Hopefully soon!!!!!

Kent, HUGE THANK YOU and appreciation goes to you for your selflessness! You spent pretty much all day there with us working the scooter and making sure everyone gets to fly, and all that at a time when you yourself can't. We can't thank you enough. Hope your wife understands :-)
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-26-2012, 04:11 PM,
An absolutely wonderful day to be out, even though a bit warm and no one was able to stick. I echo Michal's HUGE thank you to Kent. If it wasn't for you, none of us would be getting in the air. Nice to finally meet Ian (Uncle Rico), and good also to get Patrick and James out for a day. Hopefully we can all do this again real soon!
As promised I have downloaded the pictures I took on Friday. Check them out in the album Tipton Fairgrounds 8/24/12. Kim
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-27-2012, 10:50 PM,
Finally, after a call and a work day, time to get back to posting something. Thank you Kent for towing us. I am really looking forward to you flying again. I think we should do this again. James said we have enough tow rigs which should make it possible in the near future to organize this kind of event more often locally. Thanks Kim for the pictures.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Tow Road Kim Banker 2 9,349 06-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Key for scooter tow rig Kent Kendall 7 5,192 03-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Fly In at Cruzan Field 8/24/13 Kent Kendall 20 4,154 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
  Scooter Tow rig for sale ( not mine ) Kent Kendall 6 2,791 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Last Post: UnleRico
  Closest tow road to Cincinnati kacmazmert 4 2,683 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
  Have glider, can fly Steve Wahl 23 3,940 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: dksmithson
  Questions about a new scooter rig? UnleRico 8 1,839 08-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Kent Kendall
  Let's fly!!! 8/4-5/2012 Michal M. 15 2,265 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
  WesMar First Aero Tow Kyrednekhawk 3 2,109 10-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Kyrednekhawk
  National Hang Gliding & Paragliding Day Fly-In at Cloud 9, Michigan on Saturday, May Kipp 1 842 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Jordan