Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
training hills in Louisville area?
02-23-2013, 12:39 AM,
Hi Guys,

Any good training hills in the louisville area?

I want to work on foot launch and landings.

JD Guillemette ushpa# 76967
02-23-2013, 10:58 AM,
Great question. I am not a native of the area so cannot tell you the ins/outs of the land features in Louisville. I have been visiting parks and dams to find kiting opportunities. I have also seen some steep hillsides near the river but most are covered in thickets. One spot I have been meaning to take a look at is
38°10'23.69"N 85°53'42.09"W .
It is a man-made mountain without trees, maybe an old landfill. I plan to drive out there and see if it is publicly accessible one of these days, but not this weekend, I am out of town. If you are adventurous, take a look at it. Anyone else have ideas?
02-24-2013, 12:17 AM,
I looked at those coords on google earth. Just north of there is a coal fired power plant. It's likely the hills at those coords are the ash piles from the plant. Maybe a section of it has been capped and planted, worth a look.

I moved here about 2 years ago and I have been looking ever since I got here. Dog Hill in Cherokee Park might work for PG kiting but there is not enough of a LZ for HG.

I learned HG in Oklahoma and most of my training was a flood control basin, the rim was an embankment of about 30' high. Just enough to launch glide a couple seconds, flare and land. You would think we could find something like that here?

The dry side of a dam with an adequate LZ would be great.

Anyone with a suggestion would be great.
02-25-2013, 10:45 PM,
Well I think I found a hill. The vetical drop is ab out 40' in 150 and it has a 300' flat glide out and LZ. unfortunately it faces NE and look usable from NNE to ENE. Not sure how often the wind is out of the direction, a south facing hill would be best.

Nice grassy hill in Joe Creason Park. Not sure what the Louisville Parks people think of HG/PG.

Anyone ever try the hill or any other site on the parks dept property?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]272[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Loiisville Trainning Hill.jpg (Size: 150.58 KB / Downloads: 4)
02-25-2013, 10:56 PM,
I guess I'll find out pretty quick, it's the sledding hill right behind the metro parks administration building.

Nothing in the rules about prohibiting hanggliding.
02-25-2013, 11:28 PM,
well NE direction is a loser, see the wind rose for SDF. [ATTACH=CONFIG]273[/ATTACH] looks like west to south is the best probability for wind in this area.

I guess I'll keep looking

Attached Files
.jpg   wind_rose louisville ky.jpg (Size: 59.04 KB / Downloads: 5)
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM,
That's a cool tool you have there, where did you get it?

It would also explain why we fly Madison so little.

You know, I don't think you're going to spend all day at a training hill. I'd think for an hour of two of no wind calm day launch practice in the morning the NE direction may do just fine?

Hefalump Wrote:well NE direction is a loser, see the wind rose for SDF. [ATTACH=CONFIG]273[/ATTACH] looks like west to south is the best probability for wind in this area.

I guess I'll keep looking
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
02-26-2013, 08:07 PM,
It's called a wind rose, most airportts have them. It how they determine runway direction during airport design. I just google searched for "wind rose Louisville" and it landed me on the NOAA site and the wind rose was there. If you want to know more about them there is a short wikipedia about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_rose. It's no coincidence that SDF run ways are 11/35

But your right in calm days to practice launch and landing it will be fine. In fact probably better because it's those no wind landings that always seems to get me.

Over the years my landing skills have deteriorated. The past couple of years I have only flown in comps and I may only get 20-30 flights per year but about 50-70 hours or so. I need to get more landings ... not so much on the hours.

I just bought a new sail for my litespeed and I want to get a few training hill flights to test the sail fit. Then I'll probably go to lookout for weekend to tune it, anyone want to go?

First comp of the year for me will be Flytec, then East Coast Championships, then Big Spring or Santa Cruz. Didn't see anything about the Midwest comp this year, anyone know if they will try agian this year?
02-27-2013, 10:45 PM,
well so much for that idea.

Section 42.31 A(3) of the Louisville Metro Code of Ordinanances

(3) Hang-gliding. It shall be unlawful for any
person to launch or land (except for unplanned emergency
landings) a hang-glider within the boundaries of any Metro
Government park or playground area, except in areas
specifically designated for such activity by the Director of
Parks. For purposes of this section, a "Hang-glider" shall be
defined as a sail plane or aircraft without an engine operated
by an operator who hangs or is suspended from the craft.

There is a similar ordinace for Sleddig but there are specfic areas for sledding.
I'll ask the question if there is a specfic area designated for HG.

I don't think the "beg for forgivness rather than ask for permision" is the way to go for this one.
02-28-2013, 08:47 AM,
Crud!

If it looks really nice for a training hill and it's a great convenient location for you I would go and ask, it can't hurt. Argue that you're not looking for a regular hang-gliding gig there, just for a one maybe two time practice, that you're not really launching and soaring, just practicing.

You can always play dumb and say you didn't know about such ordinance and ask for forgiveness, I don't think they will arrest you and your hangglider for peacefully using the park when no one's around. I bet if you got caught they would actually enjoy watching you and have a bunch of questions, like it normally happens in 99% of interactions with the public.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Guy in the area gkeylow 11 1,896 11-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: gkeylow
  New Pilot in Louisville Area Hefalump 2 741 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Hefalump
  New pilot in Cincinnati area rustinterry 2 731 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Michal M.