Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying Sunday 8-4-13 at Windfall
08-02-2013, 11:39 PM,
Kent is out of town Sunday (maybe he will join us), but he was kind enough to check the Winfall NS road: there is a portion a quarter mile long bordered by 2 soybean fields. Given the NNE 5-7 hour forcasted wind this means we can tow from the Southern extremity and land on the road. Kim, James and I are going. I will ask Kent tomorrow if I can leave the car to charge at his parents' Saturday evening. How about gathering at my place at 9 AM Sunday morning? If there is a problem with leaving the Leaf at Kent's parents' we can take my gas car, if not perhaps the 3 of us can ride with Kim. If other pilots want to join, we will be at the Southern end of the Windfall road around 9:45 (see flying sites on this website for directions)
08-03-2013, 07:02 AM,
I stopped to ask again, at the house on the south end of the road, if it is ok to use the lawn for setting up gliders. I talked to the daughter of the owner ( a teenage girl ) who said she didn't think her mother would like that. So, conflicting answers, a young man weeks ago said it would be alright. I have not talked to the owner yet. I think it would be best to set up in the grass along side the road until you see someone in the yard to ask. We want to make sure we have permission. I mentioned we had been flying there for a few weekends, but this young girl had not noticed. I hope I can get back in time to join you. Text me on how it is going.

Kent
08-03-2013, 11:05 AM,
I'm bbaaaaaAAaaaaack!!! But not to flying yet. Had enough of flying this weekend :-) We got in super late last night and I'm exhausted, and one of the boys seems to be coming down with something (headache and 102 fever ain't good, I hear).

Hope you guys have a good flying day. I'm gonna start looking Henson/LMFP weather for the next couple of months, I really need a good fix of some quality airtime.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-03-2013, 12:32 PM,
Welcome back Michal. Hensons has been on my mind as well.

Kent
08-03-2013, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013, 01:52 PM by Kim Banker.)
Just keep me posted as to the ride up to Windfall. I can come pick you guys up if I need to. I'll plan on being at James' place at 8:30 in the am, and as soon as we are loaded there heading to Patricks for the 9:00 meet time. If anything changes, or this won't work, text or call me. Going to be a little busy today, and won't have a lot of time to be checking on here. What is it like to fly 6 weeks in a row in Indiana? And people are still planning on going to Henson's for "quality" flight time... I understand. For me quality=local! Just have to figure out how to stick without the ridge lift! I kinda like the idea of not having 10 other gliders in the air around me that I have to keep track of, though it would be nice to have at least two of us in the air at once! As Primavera says, just my .02.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-03-2013, 09:36 PM,
Sounds like a plan Kim. I got lucky to get good weather which translated to lots of "quality" airtime, but you can book yourself a whole week off and just end up with a few sled rides. I also would love to go to Hanson with you guys, especially if I can get my H3 rating, but let's face it: hang gliding completly depends on the weather and tomorrow should be good. So you got to beat the iron when it's hot or you won't fly much. Michal, if your little one does not have meningitis, we'd love to see you, even if it is only a quick appearance and you come to fly without glider: I'll lend you mine.
08-04-2013, 04:11 AM,
Please don't think I don't consider flying locally to be "quality" flying. But like you said, it depends on the weather and you have to find the way to stick. Well, I haven't had a good flying season, and love to get in that one "quality" flight where do I stick for an hour. And if that means I have to cheat and get a ridge to help me out, well, that's what I'll do.

I took the little one to the pediatrician and they don't know what's wrong, they ruled out strept, so they write if off as "viral syndrome". Not that he has a confirmed viral infection, just the symptoms. And in the mean time his fever is hard to control, and every time he wakes up he's crying because of the headache. I can't leave my wife here with him and go flying, especially considering I will leave her tonight to go to Ohio.

I'm writing this at 4am, because both the boys got up at 3am (still on +1 time). We'll have to keep them up all day so that they sleep through the night and get back on schedule, or my wife will have a hell of a week with them while I'm gone.

Life's tough. Ridge helps. :-)

P.S. If Dominick feels well enough and doesn't have a fever I'll bring them both to watch, just to get them out of my wife's hair for a little while.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-05-2013, 12:05 AM,
I was really just messin with you Michal... I certainly understand the draw to a nice long ridge, to be honest, they just intimidate me. I think it's because I don't get much of a chance around here to fly with much(any) air traffic. So go, enjoy, I didn't really mean for it to sound like I was calling you out! As a matter of fact, if your trip down would happen to by some miraculous coincidence fall over the weekend of September 14th or a day or two on either side of that. I might have to come on down and drive for you or something. I have a wedding in Nashville on the 14th.
As for todays flying... James had flight of the day, with a climb to 1500 ft. and about 10 minutes. So those who didn't make it out only missed out on some good company and a few sled rides. I'm pretty sure all were had by a good time! I had 3 flights, and Patrick and James both had 3 or 4. I was going for my three consecutive spot landings and I had the first two nailed, but came up short on my last one! Doh! Guess I'll have to start over next time out... I'm already looking forward to it.

I need to figure out a new mounting method for my video... I'll need to talk with Michal, or Jeff Ater about what they use. I did get some decent video of James' longest flight, even though it was aimed a little too skyward. Once I get a better mounting method, I think I'll like my new, cheap toy.

Thanks for a great day out guys!

Hope your boys get back on Muncie time and get well Michal. That jet lag has kicked my butt, I imagine it's even tougher on the youngsters.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-09-2013, 02:25 PM,
I will again be out of town on Sunday 8/11/13. Hope you all get to fly somewhere.

Kent
08-09-2013, 05:49 PM,
Im really glad to see the accomplishments of you guys- and grateful to point to some club activity! I'm just sorry I've not been able to make it northwards given family and work stuff.

My original plan for this weekend was to take my gf and her sister down to Henson's to catch a flight w/ Clark Harlow... but the weather doesn't appear to be working out. The hope is to build some interest and perhaps accumulate another member in the south-club. Smile

The talk of Henson's at least brings to mind the thought of trying to choose a far-off date to fly all together (whether south on a ridge, or north for some towing) just to give a weekend for everyone to put on their calendar. I know it's not been successful in the past... but maybe it will catch on Smile. I'm optimistic!
Soaring since June 2009 - H2 - AT FL CL FSL - Northwing Horizon 180 Blue/Gold/White - Secretary/Treasurer of Kentuckiana Soaring.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Sheridan on 7-7 or 7-8 pzirnhel 0 10,566 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  2017 flying Spfly2000 4 10,173 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Sunday 5/22/16 Michal M. 3 8,799 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Sunday 4/24/16 Kim Banker 4 2,703 04-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ragwing
  Sunday 4/3/16 Michal M. 5 2,979 04-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel