Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly In at Cruzan Field 8/24/13
08-24-2013, 10:14 PM,
What a day for everyone involved!!!! It may sound like Special Olympics, but everyone walked away with a goofy grin on their faces and a prize of some sort. Kim - the best spot landing (we're talking inches away from the cone), Patrick - best save in switchy unpredictable nasty air, myself - the longest duration flight, and drum roll ..... James for the highest climb out. And everyone got to soar in some sort of lift.

I'll let everyone describe their flights, here's my best flight of the season: It didn't turn on till close to 4pm. I pinned off at 1150' in a thermal. Climbed up in 50-90 fpm to 1300, dropped to 1k, climbed back up, repeat that 3 times, with close to zero drift. Then landed at the East end for the gathered crowd's enjoyment. And it didn't hurt that my wife and kiddos showed up 10 seconds before my launch, and saw the whole flight and a good landing. I also learned on this flight that I can land it just fine even if I forget to pull myself up in my harness to upright position. When prone and head down, then plenty of speed and an aggressive flare are the key. Oh, one more thing. My bicycle AT release I use for scooter towing malfunctioned on me and didn't work when I needed it to!!!! A little scary moment and I'm glad it didn't happen low in a lock-out. That would have been disastrous. Thankfully the barrel release at my hip worked well and I was able to reach for it at the top of my tow.

Then the feast began. I didn't know Bob had a luxurious club house, which by the way is always unlocked and available to us when we fly. Fridge, kitchenette, bathroom, shuffleboard and pinball machine, and air-conditioned!!!!!

The powered flying was fun to watch. I counted 9 pilots in the air at the same time, all buzzing the fields and skies all around us. A little hard to carry a conversation in all that noise, but still, fun to watch.

Thank you all for being on your best behavior in my wife's company! :-)

Can't wait to be back for more action!
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-24-2013, 10:44 PM,
Thanks for the report here and by text message. You all kept me informed through out and it was great to hear. I wish I could have been there as well, but I am very exited that it finally happened for our group. It sounds like you all put on a good demonstration for the pilots of other aircraft and I'm sure gained some respect. My thanks to you all.
08-24-2013, 11:11 PM,
My video of the whole flight ...

Release malfunction: at 1:03
Fixed the release and thus lost the brand new AT bridle: a few seconds later
A plane fly-by: 15:33 it was bigger and closer than the video makes it seem :-)
Landing like a ding-dong in prone position: 20:00
Walking, hugging the kids and talking to the wife: the last 3 minutes :-)

[video=youtube;9EJ9wleKxh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJ9wleKxh0[/video]
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-25-2013, 08:28 AM,
Nice video Michal!... 56 seconds from start of launch to release at 1150 ft. .... X/C Skies forecast is proving to be a very useful tool and pretty darn accurate. It indicated no cloud base and from the video I see there where no clouds. Noticed at beginning someone brought a canopy to sit under,... very nice! I would love to know the conversations going on among spectators. I know we keep saying this, but what a beautiful place.
08-25-2013, 10:45 AM,
Kent Kendall Wrote:Nice video Michal!... 56 seconds from start of launch to release at 1150 ft. .... X/C Skies forecast is proving to be a very useful tool and pretty darn accurate. It indicated no cloud base and from the video I see there where no clouds. Noticed at beginning someone brought a canopy to sit under,... very nice! I would love to know the conversations going on among spectators. I know we keep saying this, but what a beautiful place.

Yup, that's the canopy I forgot to bring last week, when I got sunburn :-) I'll make an effort to bring it every time we fly. It really takes what, 2 minutes to set it up? I sure would have love to stumble upon that 500 fpm lift, I only found 100 at best. I think the second half of my tow was in that thermal I played with for the rest of my flight.

Kent, have you been in that club house before? It is awesome! EVerything we need and then some, and available to use anytime we fly! No more corn field trips! :-)
08-25-2013, 11:02 AM,
James's last (and best) flight of the day ...

[video=youtube;pYJXiCgXflU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYJXiCgXflU[/video]
08-25-2013, 11:43 AM,
Kim's low altitude soaring and spot-landing-award-winning flight of the day ...

[video=youtube;ZDEKo36jl0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEKo36jl0o[/video]
08-25-2013, 06:26 PM,
Patrick's only recorded (there were more) flight that day ....

[video=youtube;eXQuo8iyOmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQuo8iyOmI[/video]
08-25-2013, 08:52 PM,
Whew!......Thought it was going to be a down winder. Then the beans.......Wow! ..Nice landing....... between the cones too!
08-26-2013, 01:23 AM,
Thanks for posting all of the videos from my camera too Michal, those would have taken me a month to get up anywhere with my computer and dial-up! I appreciate it, and I'm sure the rest of the guys do too.
All I can do is echo Michal's sentiments about the great day at the fly-in. Great people, great flying, and great food. It really helped to see some of our guys stay up and boat around the field. My one flight wasn't all that spectacular except for the fact that I stuck between 250 and 350 feet for around 5 minutes. I tried and would really have liked to be able to climb out from there, but it just wasn't meant to be! I did stick my landing pretty close to the cone to top it off though. That flight taught me that I desperately need some in flight hydration. Only 8 minutes and change and when I landed I couldn't have spit if someone had offered me $100 dollars to! A camelback is in my near future.
Thanks to the Cruzan's for a beautiful place and the invitation to the fly-in, thanks to all the guys for coming out, and especially thanks to Kent for finding this gem of a place and letting us use his scooter to get people in the air while he had to be out slaving away at work! You're all the greatest bunch of friends and pilots a guy can know! I hope we can have many more days just like that one with everybody able to join in. Thanks, thanks, thanks!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here we go again: Sunday 9-28 at Cruzan pzirnhel 3 2,727 09-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Flying at Cruzan on 9-8-13 pzirnhel 9 2,851 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM
  Scooter towing Sunday at Cruzan Field anyone? Kent Kendall 6 3,236 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Have a tow rig. Who wants to fly? pzirnhel 27 4,805 08-27-2012, 10:50 PM
  Have glider, can fly Steve Wahl 23 3,418 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: dksmithson
  Let's fly!!! 8/4-5/2012 Michal M. 15 1,789 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
  National Hang Gliding & Paragliding Day Fly-In at Cloud 9, Michigan on Saturday, May Kipp 1 754 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Jordan
  Who wants to fly? Kim Banker 13 1,777 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Michal M.