Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying Labor Day weekend
08-28-2013, 07:55 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
Any interest or plans to fly this weekend?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-29-2013, 08:55 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
Definitely interested! Sounds like we have enough to make it happen. Michal, Patrick and I are all in. Not sure what day/days we are talking about flying. Who else??
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-29-2013, 10:25 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
In terms of wind directions, it will be SSW tomorrow, SW Saturday, Sunday and NNW Monday. Small velocities around 5 mph. This leaves open static towing on Monday at Windfall since we can land on the road. We can consider the Cruzan airfield Saturday or Sunday, but Saturday there is a 40 % forecast of thunderstorm. If the crops are down in Windfall we can tow from the Northern extremity for the next three days. In any case one person is key in helping determine between the choices: Kent as he knows everything: what XC skies predicts for lift, if the crops are up or down.... I would say for now, without Kent's input, the best day seems to be Monday. Kent what do you think?
08-30-2013, 10:07 AM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
OK, I just got home Friday morning and am looking at the X/C Skies forecast. Crops will be in the way until the end of September. The B/S ratio's each day are below 5 which makes me think none of these day's will be great soaring day's, even though the updraft velocities are high. Last Saturday when you had such a good day, the B/S ratio was 10. I'm thinking that the updraft velocity reading will be more true when the crops turn brown instead of a sea of green. It appears to me that Friday is the better day ( though a bit late to plan for it) with the lowest wind speed and highest B/S ratio. I will again be in Goshen Indiana this week end, but can take equipment out for you to use. I'll be leaving from Goshen Sunday for Hershey, Pa. Call me and let me know what you want to do.

Friday - wind 8 mph SW
B/S 4-5 (needs to be 5 or greater)
Updraft velocity 400 to 500

Saturday- wind 8 SW
B/S 0-1
Updraft Velocity showing 200 to 300 at 11:00am but dropping 0 to 100 by 2:00pm (afternoon thundershowers in the forecast)

Sunday- wind 8 to 10 SW
B/S 3-4
Updraft Velocity 300 to 400

Monday- wind 12 to 13 NW
B/S 2-3
Updraft velocity 400 to 500
08-30-2013, 10:52 AM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
Keep an eye on Warren Dunes on Monday. Could be a good day. I will be in Hershey, Pa.
08-30-2013, 12:13 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
The wind in Benton Harbor is predicted to be NW 8 mph on Monday, not enough to soar, but 18 mph NNW in Frankfort, MI. Unfortunately WNW is the wrong direction for Greenpoint, so soaring is unlikely. There might be a small window early Monday morning in Greenpoint, but it will likely be foggy: 15 mph NW. The wind is measured in Frankfort and is usually higher in Greenpoint. I have been there when it is foggy and it is not flyable. Overall, our best chances are this afternoon at Cruzan or Monday at Windfall.
08-30-2013, 03:45 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
I'm available all three days so I'll go whenever and wherever the action is.

Sunday and Monday at Cruzan sounds like the best course of action to me. I'd rather fly in a cross at Cruzan than cross at Windfall, and considering the amenities at Cruzan .... Plus I can christen my trike there that much easier, too.
:yipi:
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-30-2013, 04:37 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
I also am up for anything we can do locally. Since I really need to stay somewhat close until I find out what is going on with Mom. Hopefully I'll know something this week about that. After two doctors visits and an MRI I'm hoping they can figure something out! None of the days look particularly spectacular, so whatever works best for the majority, works for me!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-30-2013, 06:23 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
One of the complications about Cruzan is that we have no scooter to tow with. Since we did not have firm plans I told Kent not to bother bringing it there and he is probably gone to Goshen by now. The good news is that we can tow on the EW road Sunday because there is a grassy field on the NE extremity. We can also tow at Windfall on Monday from the S end. The wind is to switch from NNW to WNW 2 to 13 mph. We could love to EW road. I love the amnities at Cruzan too but I think the runway is too short to get enough altitude static towing especially with not much of a head wind. 13 WNW would be good. Perhaps Kim or Michal could contact Kent and ask if we come to his parents and pick up his scooters. Monday works best for me.
08-30-2013, 08:36 PM,
Flying Labor Day weekend
Everybody involved already know so I'll just put this out there for the lurkers hopefully wishing to join us: we decided on a Sunday, scooter towing at Cruzan field. Kim will retrieve the scooter rig, I already talked to Kent and he will let Bob C. know we're coming. We can decide on Sunday after the flying whether we're gonna fly again on Monday or whether we're too beat up. If we do decide to fly Monday, everyone is invited to spend the night at my house. It may be only a hair closer, but it beats the logistics of the morning get-togethers-loading-and-pooling-or-whatnots. Plus I hate drinking alone. Well, I take it back. I don't hate it, but drinking with buddies is more fun. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Sheridan on 7-7 or 7-8 pzirnhel 0 18,763 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  2017 flying Spfly2000 4 11,545 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Weekend May 6-8 Michal M. 0 2,522 05-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Flying Saturday 8/22/15 Michal M. 12 6,605 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Holiday weekend flying Michal M. 1 4,268 07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob