Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
10-29-2013, 08:32 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
Patrick, what do you think of the forecast?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
10-29-2013, 10:05 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
I think it looks good. WNW and NW 17 mph winds. One unknown: rain. Temps in the 40s should be OK. James, Kent, Kim, anyone else interested? We could car pool, take my car.
10-29-2013, 11:15 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
I was kinda watching the forecast this weekend for some warmer temps with the idea of some local towing. But with all the rain forecast between now and then I think local soaring would probably be a bust. I probably wouldn't be into going to the dunes, but if you guys think it will be soarable, you should go. I'm still hoping for at least one good weekend of towing, whether it's Tipton, Cruzan, Brownstown or Straughn. Just really don't feel up to dune climbing! If you go let us know how it goes!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
10-30-2013, 08:35 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
Kim if you come to the dunes I will carry your glider up. That said it would be nice to be more than 3 because with that kind of wind it is very desirable to have a crew. Michal Kent and I went a year ago, it was hard to get the glider up but I learned the Chicago pilots launch from the south side of the dune easier to reach. I will post something on their site to see if there is interest there
10-30-2013, 10:38 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
After talking to some of the more experienced Ohio guys I've been told one can use the hangglider to get himself "pulled up" to the top of the dune just as easy as the paragliders do. I sure would like to see that technique first, but I sure am going to try it the next time I'm at the dunes. Sure beats the excruciating hike up trying to carry the wing.

Now, Patrick, my question still stands. What do you think of the actual forecast?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
10-31-2013, 11:21 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
I looked at the forecast again: 50% chance of rain. Otherwise the wind is good. Not sure I want to go. Let's look tomorrow again.
11-01-2013, 04:31 AM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
The technique is pretty simple. Grab the glider by the front wires in such a way that you can somewhat control the pitch, raise it up enough to get the glider flying and let it pull you up the hill. That being said, it still isn't that easy if conditions are very gusty, since roll control isn't that great.
I appreciate the offer Patrick, but now my brother is coming down from Marion for the day Saturday. Sorry I won't be there to help out. Still hoping for a tow weekend before the snow flies though!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
11-01-2013, 07:23 AM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
I'm not sure how one can get himself pulled up by the glider without being hooked in. If one holds the wires so that you can control the pitch then it won't pull you, it will just stop flying. If you hold it low enough that it still flies and pulls you then you lose control of the pitch. It must be a very finicky technique, or maybe you can use a rope longer than your main hang strap to hook yourself temporarily in a way that you can stand in front of the glider, get pulled and with your hands control the pitch.

Another technique may be just being hooked in the regular way at the the bottom of the dune, pick up the glider, get it to balance and fly and hope it will pick you up a foot or two, then pull in and settle down, but if you can do that, you may as well start flying right from there? I don't know. Like I said, I'd like to see someone else show it to me, picture is worth thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pictures.

Sure would be a good time of year to practice it, with hardly any people there in the way to worry about.
11-01-2013, 09:48 AM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
I looked at the weather again. Now not only does it call for 50% chance of rain, but for milder winds: 14-16 mph. I do not think I want to go. Sunday at Tipton should be a dry day with temps in the upper 30s low 40s. Any chance of lift there. Anyone interested?
11-01-2013, 08:53 PM,
Warren Dunes, Sat 11/2
I could do something local Sunday if we can get enough interest. I still can't figure out how to use xcskies to find out bs ratios and such. So I have no idea about soaring potential, though with the recent rain I would guess it to be pretty low to non-exsistant. But I'd still be up for it...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sunday 9-21 AM at Warren pzirnhel 4 3,472 09-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Warren Dunes Tuesday 8/12 Kent Kendall 4 15,728 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM
  Flying Sat June 21 pzirnhel 3 6,746 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM
  Sunday at Warren, Saturday at Richmond Dale or Sunday in Windfall? pzirnhel 14 12,507 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Flying Site - Warren Dunes / Indiana Dunes ChrisN 5 3,879 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Kent Kendall
  Madison this Sat 10/27 Michal M. 10 2,545 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker