Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tv commercial showing hg in not so good a light
01-19-2014, 10:00 AM,
So, has anybody else seen this new DIRECTV Commercial?
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7f64/directv-hang-gliding
I know there is probably little we can do about it, but it really just pi$$€$ me off. I kind of wonder if the USHPA is aware of it yet. Makes us all look like a bunch of idiots for even thinking of partaking in such a sport! I mean after all when you take up hang gliding, you are going to run into things! Really?! Am I just overreacting? You can tell me if it's just me.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
01-21-2014, 08:46 PM,
I love that commercial.
It shows that you can hit powerlines and survive!
You're just jealous 'cause the guy in the commercial is getting more airtime that you.

Be a sport nobody punches your dad over a can of soup either. Heck, it's showing someone actually
launching a hang glider. There's someone out there saying "I've GOT to take some lessons one of these days"
when they see that.

I've run into things a few times, besides. Haven't you?
01-22-2014, 11:30 PM,
Nope, never ran into anything! Well, I have if you count the ground, but never hard enough to even bend a downtube. I'm pretty proud of that 35 year record too! Of course, now I've probably jinxed myself and should go ahead and buy two new sets of downtubes.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
01-23-2014, 10:02 PM,
I once ran into a cliff myself so you can survive that too, although I recommend neither. Watch Despicable Me2 : she manages to land on top with 30 feet of clearance. The guy in the commercial definitely needs more training (remember the orange cones): we should get the rights for this commercial and add the message: "Please contact your local USHPA instructor for more needed lessons"