Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday at Warren, Saturday at Richmond Dale or Sunday in Windfall?
04-30-2014, 11:16 PM,
This week-end sounds promising... Here is the menu:
Sunday at Warren Dunes, there will be a WNW wind 9 to 12 mph with sun. If the wind strengthens a little in the afternoon, it may be soarable, and a small wind velocity straight in, in the morning with the forgiving sand a nice way to start the year for some of us who have not flown yet. We can use my car for the Indianapolis folks, and perhaps if you are available Kent, meet you there.
Saturday afternoon the wind should be WSW at Richmond Dale 15 mph. Again an opportunity to soar there. We need some complicity from Michal, to get us registered with the Ohio Flyers and some knowledge about if the site is operational.
For pure locals, Sunday morning should be good at Windfall, with winds NNW around 9 mph sunny, but with possibly rain in the afternoon, suggesting developing thermals.

So what do you want to do?
05-01-2014, 04:20 PM,
I'm heading out to Henson's here shortly. If anyone wants to ride with me and you can catch me in the next couple of hours, call me. I'll be back Sunday.

To get registered with Ohio flyers, there are two ways: Paypal or paper. Both links are on their website.

Richmond Dale is fully operational, and now that they cut down the trees below the launch, it's sweeter than ever. I am surprised noone is talking about the forecast for Richmond Dale on the ohio flyers website. It's like 2 or 3 days of near perfect condition forecast for this weekend, last time I checked.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
05-01-2014, 05:21 PM,
As usual Kim prefers Sunday local! Yeah, nothing new there. But if you get a group that wants to head north, don't let me stop you! Especially if Kent can be coaxed out of his self imposed exile! I'll get mine at some point this year. As you know I wait till conditions suit me for my first flight of the season. It may seem strange or uber careful to some, but it's what my aging comfort zone demands. Keep us posted on what the group decides!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM,
Sorry about my exile. February through the end of June is my busy time. Make hay while the sun shines thing you know. When I am gone from my wife so much through the week, it makes it difficult to go away on the weekend. Someday I hope!
05-02-2014, 03:46 PM,
Oh, you know most of what I have to say is with my tongue firmly planted in cheek! And what is this sun you speak of? So far this year it is nothing more than a rumor I keep hearing about! Here's to all of us getting more airtime than we know what to do with in this fresh season!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
05-02-2014, 05:02 PM,
According to XC Skies, windy and no lift for the weekend, in the Tipton area. Patrick is right about Warren Dunes on Sunday. It has the potential to be soarable if the wind picks up just a bit. Forecast says 15 mph and that may be enough for the falcon 195. Kim you should try it, you will love soaring the Dunes.
05-02-2014, 08:38 PM,
James said he was in for Warren. Kent, could your wife let you make an appearance? It would help convince Kim. We can take my car.
05-03-2014, 12:13 AM,
I love FLYING the dunes! I used to go up to Warren six or seven times a year if the forecasts were good. As a matter of fact I still have some sand from there all over in my Seagull Seahawk and in the old harness I used to use! That and the climb up where you take one step up and slide back 3/4 of a step is what keeps me away! Heehee! I really did used to drive the 4 hrs. up, fly all day until sunset, and then drive the 4 hrs. back. I have very fond memories of my strength and stamina back then!
05-03-2014, 01:49 PM,
Yes, the climb is the drawback, on this old body as well. I didn't realize you had soared the dunes Kim. Maybe do a short static tow to launch?
05-03-2014, 04:07 PM,
The dunes are a lot for this 29 (today) young buck as well :-)

Don't mean to rub it in, but I'm on launch at Henson, set up and ready to go. It's coming mostly straight in just a little too strong, should back up to launchable and soarable any time now. Now if can just get off the ramp safely in the boat of a U2. :party:
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sunday 5/22/16 Michal M. 3 9,251 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Sunday 4/24/16 Kim Banker 4 2,961 04-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ragwing
  Sunday 4/3/16 Michal M. 5 3,227 04-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Sunday 3/6/16 Michal M. 2 2,660 03-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Flying Saturday 8/22/15 Michal M. 12 6,077 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: pzirnhel