Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last chance for May flying
05-27-2014, 09:49 PM,
Not making any promises, but ... I took the carb off today without much problems, took a bunch of pictures to make it easier to put it back together. A lot of overflow and vacuum hoses ... It will take a cleansing bath overnight and I'll put it back together. The new automatic choke should arrive in the mail tomorrow, I'm also ordering a new air filter, just for a good measure. Looking at a few how-to guides adjusting the valves is a breeze (once it's running).

Sooo, back to not making any promises: if all comes together just as easy as it came apart, and all parts arrive in time, and the forecast stays the same or gets better, we could potentially do some towing at Cruzan on Saturday.

Patrick, would that be a great way to celebrate your boards by then? :-)
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
05-28-2014, 07:38 PM,
Thanks for your hard work! Sounds like you have it well under way Michal. If I understood Patrick correctly he was thinking about staying in this weekend in preparation for his boards on the 5th. But perhaps this post will coax him out none the less. I will be available this weekend but not the following. I have a wedding that will take me out of state for the 7th, 8th and 9th. Let's get the Cruzan field flying started!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
05-28-2014, 09:21 PM,
Kim is right it is on June 5th. I may make an appearance and bring my work for after flying
05-29-2014, 10:32 PM,
I spoke with Michal a couple of hours ago. The scooter is running and pulling with VERY good pressures. He is pretty excited about getting it out to Cruzan field this Saturday and giving it a real world test. I'm definitely ready to get out to Cruzan for the first time this year. Post up if you are gonna come out on Saturday. Huge thanks to Michal for taking this on, and as always, thanks to Kent for having the scooter! Let's do this...
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
05-30-2014, 01:28 AM,
Great job Michal! As Kim said, thanks for taking on this task. I am not sure at this time about making it out Saturday, but I hope you all can test the scooter.
05-31-2014, 07:55 PM,
Nice day at the Cruzan field! Scooter performed as expected and we even figured out to very easily rig it with a tension meter. Everyone got a chance to soar, and everyone tried their best. Everyone walked away from their landings, and everyone had a smile on their face. I brought 4 (yes, FOUR) kids, half mine, half neighbor's, and they behaved well, I thought. You guys can be honest with me, if this village doesn't want to put up with the youngins, just say so. Huge thanks of course to Bob for the hospitality. The tow rig is now parked behind the clubhouse. I may or may not be able to do this again next week. I'll try.

Thanks for the tows!
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
05-31-2014, 10:13 PM,
Great Michal! How long did everyone soar and how much altitude gained?
05-31-2014, 11:14 PM,
Another beautiful day at a beautiful place! The scooter worked great for the first time out this year thanks to Michal's getting it prepared. I took the first tow in VERY active air and pinned off at 1100 ft., I hit a few bumps before finding a nice little climb directly over the launch area where I climbed a little before sinking out and having a less than stellar re-introduction to planet earth. No bent parts, and no real physical damage that I couldn't walk off. I think Michal and James both climbed above their pin off altitude, but I'll let them tell their own lies... I mean, stories. A good time was had by all.
Michal, your boys were fine today as far as I'm concerned, the addition of the neighbor boys seemed to mostly keep them all entertained without any problems that I saw.
Nice to meet Bill Ellison today too, as he stopped out to see how the scooter towing worked. Nice day, good people, great place, what more could you ask for!?
06-01-2014, 09:55 AM,
I wish I could have been there. Did I understand that Bob is letting you keep the scooter there?
06-01-2014, 12:22 PM,
Yes, Kent, with Bob's permission the scooter (parachute in the cargo box) is parked next to the (what I'm assuming is) bigass gas tank directly behind the club house. It is covered with a grill cover, since the seat flew off during the transport and the guts are now exposed. That reminds me, we need to rig up some sort of a seat.

I pinned of at 1000', and while playing for 8 minutes I climbed to 1200', up and down for a short while. The lift was very disorganized. A large area of general lift, bubbles going both ways. Where it was going up my vario was pegged, 3 seconds later dumping me out. When I left the area i was greeted with 800' down. 10 minutes total flight. My second tow was aborted a few feet off the ground due to not flying straight with the tow line, I saved it and landed on my feet. Miracle! Went for it immediately again, this time towing ok but the barrel release hit the base tube, accidentally releasing at 300'. Made a 360 and landed by the cone. Didn't have the stamina to try again ...

The most we got out of the scooter was 180 lbs of tension, which I thought was more than perfect. I noticed at 180 everyone was getting knocked around on tow, at 140-160 it seemed smoother and the climbs still good. It may be a different story on a different day, with different thermal conditions and wind not honking at 10-12mph.

I wish we could get the launch cart to the field. It would allow me to route the towline under the basetube rather than over, and would make towing my U2 a little easier, I think. At least that is my experience from test scooter towing it at Wesmar last month.

Alright, gotta go. The kids are ready for the pool.

Next time!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Sheridan on 7-7 or 7-8 pzirnhel 0 18,763 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  2017 flying Spfly2000 4 11,545 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Flying Saturday 8/22/15 Michal M. 12 6,606 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Holiday weekend flying Michal M. 1 4,268 07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob
  Lets go flying. IndianaBob 28 8,214 06-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob