Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last chance for May flying
06-01-2014, 07:20 PM,
When I spoke to Bob about leaving the scooter there, that was only a temporary fix, not a permanent thing. Not sure how he would feel about that. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on that. Since Kent's trailer was boxed in the way it was, and I thought that was something that Kent mentioned as a temporary fix until we can get his trailer out. I will be more than happy to transport Kent's trailer back and forth between his parents and the field whenever we are flying there. I hope I didn't mis-hear Kent during our conversation, or misrepresent my conversation with Bob! Hopefully we will have a lot of flying days at Cruzan this year where we can all enjoy some good times, and even better air. I just want to make sure I didn't screw something up!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
06-01-2014, 10:48 PM,
Temporary is what I had in mind Kim. I hope to make it home this week some time to get a few things in order. Getting the trailer where it can be accessed being one of them. As long as Bob is OK with the tow rig being there for a few days.
06-01-2014, 11:10 PM,
I don't think there is any hurry either. He seemed fine when I said I wasn't sure when we would be able to get access to the trailer. I'd much rather see you make the trip down when there was a chance to fly and hang out! Just not this weekend, since I'll be off to a wedding. Even though there may still be flying going on if Michal, James, and Patrick can get together. I'm sure Patrick will be celebrating passing his state board that he is taking this coming Thursday!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
06-02-2014, 06:05 PM,
I'll have the kids in Ohio this weekend. The weekend after that may be doable.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
06-02-2014, 07:38 PM,
If James available, and you want to join us Kent, we can go this week end. The wind forecast for Saturday is 9 mph SSE. So we could go to Windfall for example.
06-02-2014, 08:41 PM,
Hello All!
Just picked up my glider (Falcon 195) last week at Lookout and wondering where the club is flying? I live in Greenwood, southside of Indy. I completed the H2 requirements last fall at "Scotertow" Whitewater Wisconsin and would find some local flying sites.

Any plans for this weekend, June 7&8?

New Guy,
David Halsmer
06-03-2014, 08:51 AM,
Welcome David

We usually fly at three different sites now:
- At the Cruzan airfield, located just W of State Road 213 (Walnut Grove) and just South of 266th Street, near Arcadia, IN. We scooter tow there. It is an E-W strip. There is a NW road nearby we have not tried yet.
- We also do static towing on another E-W road: E 250 N, near Tipton, IN. If you continue heading N on 213, then take a left on SR 28, one mile before reaching SR 9, turn right (N) on Meridian, cross Division then E100 N then E 200 N, go half a mile and you are there. It is about 3 miles W of Windfall and 2 miles South.
- Our main NS road on which we static tow is N 500 E, South East of Windfall. If you drive N on SR 213 heading towards Windfall, pass Division and take the next right on E 100 N, drive 2 miles and you are there.

I want to go flying this week end, but need to hear form James and Kent. James is a hang 4 (should be 5), used to be an instructor, is an observer (so he can deliver ratings) and has about 2500 flights under his belt. Kent lives in Elkhart now, but he just moved from Tipton last year and his parents still live in Tipton. He owns the scooter towing rig we use at Cruzan. He is also a hang 4. He said he wanted to come to Tipton this week end. We left his rig at the Cruzan Airfield. We need to be at least 3 to organize something: one pilot, one person to operate the scooter or the towing car, one spotter next to the pilot to communicate with the winch/car operator. Michal, Kim and I are hang 3. James and I live near Butler University in Indianapolis and both own a static towing rig. Kim lives in Shelbyville and Michal between Muncie, IN and Dayton, OH. They are not available this week end.

We have been flying almost every week for about a month. Let us hope we can get something going this week end. Once again welcome.

Patrick
Patrick
06-04-2014, 07:05 PM,
Yes, welcome David! You kind of caught us at a bad time, normally we are flying most every weekend this time of year. If there ends up not being enough to make it happen this weekend there almost will certainly be enough the following weekend. I live just outside of Shelbyville, and do a large portion of my work in the Greenwood area. Keep your eyes on this list for future flying opportunities. At least until we can meet and exchange cell phone numbers. We also do a lot of text messaging to check on everyones availability.
Last night I also got an e-mail from another new pilot. His name is Robert, and he is from the Louisville area, but spends a lot of time in the Bloomington area. I directed him to this website as well as the Ohio Flyers website. He is a hang 2 pilot with a new aerotow signoff from Lookout Mt. He is interested in flying opportunities within a couple hours of Louisville/Bloomington. Hopefully, we will be seeing these new pilots at our flying fields and above our flying fields in the very near future.
WELCOME DAVID AND ROBERT!
06-04-2014, 07:22 PM,
Yes, welcome to the both of you!
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Sheridan on 7-7 or 7-8 pzirnhel 0 18,910 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  2017 flying Spfly2000 4 11,558 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Flying Saturday 8/22/15 Michal M. 12 6,614 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Holiday weekend flying Michal M. 1 4,275 07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob
  Lets go flying. IndianaBob 28 8,257 06-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob