Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
07-28-2014, 10:00 AM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
I was gone for the weekend with no internet. Did you guys fly? I don't see any attempt at communication or anything ....

This coming weekend I'm out for flying in Indiana. Will be taking the kids to King's Island on Friday (gotta get that done before the school starts). Saturday I may go to Wesmar (with the kids) for either an early morning or late evening aerotow attempt, or may take the kids zip-lining somewhere. They did that in Czech rep and loved it, I promised them to do it again this summer.

What are you guys planning?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
07-28-2014, 02:58 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
Patrick and I talked Friday and decided this past weekends weather looked pretty much like a wash. So I committed myself to finishing this retaining wall in my front yard that I've been working on for about a year! That is what I was doing Saturday when he called and said it looked like maybe we could have a go at it after all. I was already too committed to myself and others at that point to switch up plans. After digging a good base and then levelling and stacking 200 blocks my back decided that Sunday would be out of the question also! Thankfully all is done but moving more dirt in behind the walls, which I am waiting for a backhoe to come and do at this very moment.
As for next weekend, nothing has been mentioned since we have no way of knowing yet what the forecast is! I would definitely be up for some form of aviation though after having gone three weeks without any. However, money is an issue right now, so I'm hoping for something local...
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
07-28-2014, 09:25 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
So, how many times did you utter the words "I'm too old for this shit" ??

Because, my dear friend, you are! This is what nephews and their friends are for. Well worth the few six packs of beer and two large pizzas you'd have to buy. Haven't you learned that by now?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
07-29-2014, 12:39 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
Those very words were uttered more times than I can count, and thought, several dozen more. My nephews and their friends are long gone, grown up and moved away and mostly unhelpful anyway when it comes to manual labor. All my siblings are older than I am and all my friends are hang glider pilots, and you know how flighty they can be! To make matters even more fun... For me anyway, the guy with the backhoe never showed up yesterday, so I moved 23 wagon loads of topsoil by hand, up a hill and in behind the walls and spread it out with a rake. I'll probably finish off filling the last one this evening, since I'm wanting to get the $150.00 of topsoil where it goes before the rain washes it away. Sometimes I'm just glad to be here! So who wants to fly this weekend?
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
07-30-2014, 01:32 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
Kim Banker Wrote:.... So who wants to fly this weekend?

Oh, you know I want to fly every day! Just can't. Like i said, I got the kids Friday. Plans for Saturday are already crystallizing and they don't involve aviation. I'm keeping my eyes on the weather for the next few weekends though. I wouldn't mind getting another legendary weekend of soaring in TN, before the season is over. I didn't get to fly often this year, so the few times I do get to fly I want to make it count. Not saying I wouldn't go locally, just that if the weather is right, weekend in TN will trump 1 day in IN.
07-30-2014, 09:57 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
This week end should be rainy.... Wait a minute, not on Sunday. 3 mph N of wind and sunny. At lookout, it will be rainy the whole time. Saturday is my son's birthday too. How about some flying on Sunday?
08-01-2014, 10:32 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
I think Sunday looks like the best option as well. They are still predicting North winds at 3-5 in the Tipton area. I am a little worried about road availability though with the size of the crops around my place. The corn around here is a good 7-8 feet, and even the beans in some fields are waist high! It's going to be a good year for the farmers! Not so much right now for hang glider pilots! I'm willing to give it a go though if we have the numbers to get out.
08-02-2014, 07:47 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
I and the kiddos may be available to help with some towing operations if you guys decide to go. I don't like the N wind component, as that puts my kids on the road. We'll see, not making any promises.
08-02-2014, 08:42 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
There is a NS road half a mile from the Windfall road so even if the corn is high on the usual road, we should be able to go right next to it. We would love to see you there Michal. The road I am talking about is gravel: much less travelled which is better for the kids. Bring your gear.
08-02-2014, 11:15 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
It's just a bit after 11:00 pm on the night before and I've still not heard any confirmation on whether we have possible flight operations for tomorrow. I'm reasonably sure our regular Windfall road will be unusable as there is corn on both sides on the south end. I honestly don't remember what is on the south end of the other road right by there. Communication seems to be an issue recently, I don't mind checking here early in the week, but as plans solidify, texting or calling is much more immediate. Just sayin!