Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
08-03-2014, 01:16 AM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
So is it "just" the two of you? I am available to come and assist. My gear is in OH.

Call/text as soon as you guys make the decision.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-03-2014, 08:52 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
Sorry Michal, I had not checked here after I heard from Patrick last night. I guess we ALL need to make sure information about flying gets passed on to every individual in a timely manner even if they are just a maybe! I hate that you kindly came out to help when we already had it covered. But, thanks none the less! I guess we all need to strive to do better at communication.
My fears about static towing on the road were pretty much confirmed. Until the crops are harvested we will be pretty much limited to flying at Cruzan Field, which means we will need at least some version of east or west winds. That was where we ended up today after going by Kents parents place and picking up the trailer, much to the chagrin of at least one of us. However, without too much grumbling we were able to get the scooter rig loaded back on the trailer and back to where it really belongs at the end of the day. Sorry for my insistance that we do that, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I had left a job half done until it was back to it's real home.
Now, for the day of flying, so much as it was. I didn't fly today since my back was still screaming from a couple of weeks of overuse. So I was the designated tow meister for the day. I believe James and Patrick each had three tows apiece into what was about a 45 degree cross most of the day. James climbed above tow on at least one of his tows but mostly all that was had were slightly extended sledders. Patricks last tow ended with a rope break close to the end of the tow, but Michal and I were able to retrieve it without too much heartache and no crop damage.
Patrick is unavailable next weekend, so unless Kent and or Michal decide to make it out, it looks like we will be taking a week off. Thanks to everyone involved today, including Kent, for the use of his scooter which finally found it's way back to where it belongs, and Bob for letting us use his awesome playground, and Michal for coming out with no expectation of flying. It was a great day to be out!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-04-2014, 10:58 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
Thanks Michal for coming and Kim for the heavy lifting: after 23 wheelbarrows, 100 miles driving one way, thanks to Kent's scooter, he got us airborne.
The air was actually pretty active: I did not look at the vario each time I flew but made some altitude gains both times. For the ones who did not fly: the fast "beep, beep, beep, beep" is a charming noise that sticks in your ears well after flying. Come join us, next time. James did look at the vario and he got above tow. In the end the sky was filled with little cumies. Not a booming day, but there was some lift, perhaps with thermals too narrow to center easily. The wind was cross 90 degrees and even tail at times but fortunately very mild (3 mph).
In N winds, we could use the gravel road next to the Winfall road: its S end has soybeans on the left and corn on the right. The wind has to be N or NNE. Otherwise, the N end of Overdorf, the road near Cruzan, has soybeans on both ends: anything S will do. So the only winds we could not handle would be NNW.
So if NW winds get too strong:.... we go to Warren Dunes for soaring.
Life is full of opportunities. We just need to communicate.
08-05-2014, 09:53 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
I need to make it a habit to start bringing at least my harness to IN for the weekends. At least I'd have a chance of maybe flying :-)

This weekend is looking good for Cruzan, weather-wise. Unfortunately, we're planning a weekend out of town for the kids' last fun weekend before the school starts, so I doubt I'll be able to attend. I'll know more Thursday.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-07-2014, 08:21 PM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
I am OUT for this weekend. I wanted to get this out here before anyone started trying to shift their schedules around trying to make it out for the weekend. I am still waiting on numerous checks from work that is already done. Right now I'm so poor I can't even pay attention! Hopefully next week they'll arrive and I'll be liquid once again.

On a side note: Jeff Ater (our long missing President) has expressed an interest in heading to Lookout Mountain the first week of October. I know Patrick and Michal have talked about going down sometime before the end of the year too, maybe we could all head down at the same time. I would definitely be interested if we can make it happen. I should have probably posted this under its own heading, but thought I'd test the water here first to see if anyone else was interested. So, what say you?
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-08-2014, 10:31 AM,
Weekends of 7/26 and 8/2
I am out too this week end because I am on call but would be interested in going to Lookout in October. We could take my car that has good mileage, although I would have to enlarge the rack to carry more than 2 gliders. Kim, what kind of mileage do you get with your truck? It would help me to find out how much you have to spend to drive us around so you are not the one footing the bill.