Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday 9-1 and Sunday 9-7
09-04-2014, 08:21 AM,
For the record, we did fly Monday. As usual, James got flight of the day. It was minimal though. The rope caught on a sign despite our attempts to prevent it by dressing the sign with duct tape and James shaking the rope. For me, the loop in which we pass the bridle finally gave up: entirely perdictible. But we got our needed dose of being airborne.
Then we went to Aurora. We found the old flying site and buzards were soaring the ridge. We knocked at the house and as nobody was there, we walked the grounds to find the takeoff. Unfortunately, it had been invaded by trees. It would take a very sympathetic owner to let us knock down quite a few trees to get the site back. We left Kim's phone number. Kim, besides the police, anyone called?
Sunday 9-7 finally looks good. ENE 5 miles per hour winds in Tipton: who wants to go to Cruzan?
09-04-2014, 02:26 PM,
No trespass warrants yet, also nothing from the homeowner! For those that don't recognize the Aurora moniker, I'm pretty sure this is the site they used to call Laughery creek. If you search that name on the Ohio flyers site you'll get several hits about what a great site it used to be.
If the forecast stays decent for Cruzan this weekend, I am definitely interested! We are running out of time to get the whole group out too! Kent and Michal, what is your availability?
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
09-06-2014, 06:23 PM,
I'm considering. My marriage is hanging on a thread so flying is not a priority right now. We'll see what the mood is this weekend.

Guys, can you have James bring some other harnesses, or if you have some, so that I actually have a chance of flying, should the starts line up and I did show up? Patrick's harness is too big (tall) for me, haven't tried Kim's yet. I wouldn't mind a trainer, just as long as it can get me in the air for a minute or two. If I come ....
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
09-06-2014, 10:54 PM,
James is bringing the trainer harness
09-07-2014, 09:45 PM,
Today was a good day. It turned on at about the time we arrived at Cruzan. James's first flight was a sled ride as he took off in the shadow of a big cloud. Then I went, found some lift part of the way but not enough to gain. What happened next is still a mystery, but Kim got pulled forward about 30 feet when he just wanted slack taken off, which was rather unsettling for the flight that followed. Then I went again, gained a few hundred feet above tow up to 1200, rolling the same gentle thermal with shallow turns all the way above Ofendorf road, where I had to give up in order to come back. James went next, started the same way but got up to 1500 and caught another thermal on the way down that brought him back up. Then Kim went again but the tow lacked energy so he released at 750. He found a thermal on the way down he nursed avidly zeroing for an impossible amount of time until the ground had the upper hand and landed safely. We missed Michal. Thanks to all involved, including Kent and Bob Cruzan.
09-08-2014, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM by Kim Banker.)
Here are a couple of quick observations from yours truly. 1. I pretty much suck at thermalling. 2. Unicycles are stupid and dangerous. Now to expound on both topics, 1. I've always been told that sooner or later I'm going to hit a day where the conditions are going to be right and I'll stay up. I'm beginning to think that the people telling me this are just really good friends who don't want to hurt my feelings by saying "wow, you really do suck at this". What confuses me, is that I seem to be pretty good at coring 0's, not climbing, not sinking, just kinda hanging on like a bad cold. I used to find some consolation in the fact that if I couldn't stay up, at least my landings were strong and consistent... But, yeah, that seems to not be the case anymore either.
2. Whoever came up with the idea that only one wheel was plenty to go out and take a ride on, should be shot! I suppose a bit of backstory is in order for those that weren't there. While waiting for James to get ready Sunday morning, I decided to try out the unicycle laying in the front yard(this, I realize now, was my bad). After a couple of feeble attempts, I went for it with a gusto rarely seen from the likes of me, and promptly found myself looking up at the beautiful large tree in James' front yard. My ass hurt, my neck hurt, yet my ego came out reasonably unscathed. Because no person in their right mind thinks one wheel is plenty.
You may think these two topics are completely unrelated, however. I failed at two things on Sunday, one while doing something I love, and one that I should have known better than to even try. I'm going to keep working at the one I love until I hopefully, eventually get it right. I have only been flying for 30 some years, I think I'll give that some more time. Unicycles, not so much!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sunday 5/22/16 Michal M. 3 9,974 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Sunday 4/24/16 Kim Banker 4 3,275 04-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ragwing
  Sunday 4/3/16 Michal M. 5 3,582 04-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Sunday 3/6/16 Michal M. 2 2,993 03-06-2016, 09:05 PM
  Here we go again: Sunday 9-28 at Cruzan pzirnhel 3 3,262 09-29-2014, 10:50 PM
  Sunday 9-21 AM at Warren pzirnhel 4 3,472 09-21-2014, 11:21 PM
  Sunday 9-14 pzirnhel 0 3,371 09-12-2014, 11:47 PM
  Sunday at Warren, Saturday at Richmond Dale or Sunday in Windfall? pzirnhel 14 12,508 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM
  Flying Sunday 8-4-13 at Windfall pzirnhel 10 4,450 08-16-2013, 09:02 PM
  Scooter towing Sunday at Cruzan Field anyone? Kent Kendall 6 3,919 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker