Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennessee 10/3-5
09-29-2014, 09:21 AM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
The forecast is starting to look legendary for this Friday Saturday and even Sunday at Henson, just saying. And its the ending of the Team Challenge, so a lot of fun at night as well.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
09-29-2014, 05:34 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Patrick and I have already been looking at a trip to TN for this coming weekend. The plan is to meet Jeff Ater down there if the weather is conducive to aviation. This has the possibility of being the largest gathering of Kentuckiana soaring members for a while. Let's watch the weather and see if it works out!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
09-30-2014, 10:40 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Sat and Sun look good at lookout. Would love to try Henson's too. Are you thinking about coming Michal?
10-01-2014, 08:38 AM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
The decision will be made later today. Going to Henson if I go.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
10-01-2014, 04:16 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
I'm going!!! Leaving Thursday late evening straight from Dayton, heading home Sunday. May or may not be carpooling with Matt D.

Hope to see you guys at Hanson's! (which is by far the cheaper and friendlier than LMFP, just sayin')
10-01-2014, 11:20 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Great. Kim and I are car pooling using my car leaving Friday morning coming back Sunday evening. Where are you staying at Henson's gap. Camping?
10-02-2014, 07:12 AM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Yes. They have very sufficient amenities at the launch site: camping, toilets, shower (never ending hot water!!!), club house with kitchen and fridge, all 100 yards from the famous ramp.

Depending on Matt I will either leave today (Thursday) late night and take a nap break along the way (I've been up since 4am today) or we'll pack up tonight and leave super early Friday morning. Matt doesn't fly on the day he arrives (his personal preference), I'd like to take advantage of the predicted wind/no rain in the early evening for a nice sunset flight. So I need to arrive early enough on Friday to get settled and set up.
10-02-2014, 06:34 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Guys, for various reason, I'm canning the trip. :grrrrrr:

THe changed forecast and other personal/family considerations will keep me from going. Confusedhot-in-head:

Hope you have a lot of fun and Saturday turns out to be an epic day!
10-06-2014, 09:34 AM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
When Kim and I Iooked again at the weather forecast, we were already in Bowling Green KY on our way to Lookout, so based on the better forecast, we ended up at Henson's Gap Friday night. We were warmly welcomed by Tennessee Tree Toppers such as Olie and we got to meet world class pilots such as Dennis Pagen. After the chilly and windy night passed, it became obvious we were not going to fly, so we attended ground school about flying in harsh conditions. Michal texted it was going to be soarable in Richmond Dale Sunday when in Tennessee the South wind meant not flyable anywhere there (Witwell is oriented SE), so we headed back home. Kim needed to rest after the cold night, so Michal and I joined Sri, John Alden, Larry Ball and a paraglider pilot Adam Lee at Richmond Dale. The conditions were strong on arrival with winds averaging 16 mph with gusts at 25 mph. So we waited a while. Larry went first, got above launch, but the washing machine air (gusts alternating with 7-10 mph winds) with switches in direction forced him to land after 15 min. John went second, went up, 360ed above launch and stayed close to an hour. Sri got busy fiddling with his harness and forgot where the lift band was: he had a sled ride. Michal got a good flight, staying up abou 20 min. I waited for the conditions to soften down to 10-15 mph gusting 18 and stayed up abou 15 min. There were times I was parked. The paraglider pilot Adam just kited his sail, rightfully made the decision not to fly.
10-07-2014, 12:50 AM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Actually I think I have a sleep disorder! I rarely sleep more than one or two hours if I know I'm going to be flying the next day. Not sure why this is, but the best way I can describe it is a nervous excitement. Remember when you were a kid and couldn't sleep the night before doing something you were really looking forward to? Yeah, like that! I had slept one hour on Thursday night, and I thought, yeah, that'll be good, I'll be able to sleep Friday night and wake up refreshed and ready for aviation on Saturday morning. Well, not so much, with karaoke and a party still going on we hit the tent and my eyes were wide open. I layed there and tried to clear my mind for sleep to the sounds of, whooping and hollering interspersed with people attempting several renditions of, Piano Man, Learning to Fly, and a couple different attempts at Alice's Restaurant. As near as I can tell, I fell asleep sometime after 4:00 AM. Giving me a grand total, for those keeping track, of three hours of sleep in 48 hours. Not exactly conducive to committing flight. So I wasn't very excited at the prospect of riding home for one night of decent rest and heading out early the next morning to take a chance on good conditions. I used to be able to handle that kind of running, but I'm not as young as I used to be!
Now, I'm going to be brutally honest. I don't have an AWCL signoff, and I'm more than a little frightened of attempting my first one. I've talked with James, he says he'll work with me. I've seen lots of them, I believe I've read everything ever written about them, and I know what I'm supposed to do. Yet I'm still a bit terrified. Probably not right for a grown man to admit to that, but there it is. I will be going down to Henson, and getting several flights in mild conditions before even attempting anything more. Any more insight I can get from those of you who have already done AWCL's would be appreciated.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery