Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennessee 10/3-5
10-07-2014, 02:32 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
I remember my first time launching off the old Look Out ramp. I had to keep reminding myself that I had flown hundreds of times at the Dunes. This would be no different, just starting higher. The only time I have seen problems with anyone on launch is with a reluctant or timid run. You must be confident and aggressive. Be attentive of your nose angle when you start your run and of course, more wind means be more aware. I like to "slightly" dive and speed away from the ridge, but not too far, before making my turn to fly along the ridge. I find it hard to believe you will have any problem at all.
10-07-2014, 08:15 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
To be clear, my fear isn't with the launch itself, or even in no wind or up to 5, 6 mph. It's with winds where I'm required to have a wire crew. Never done it, know people who have died attempting it, and therein lies the root of my fear. I wouldn't even go to Henson's until this trip because of Christopher's accident there. Maybe I just need some counseling, does anyone know a good cheap psychiatrist? Sorry, back to using my sense of humor to hide my real feelings. I do realize that people have been killed in every form of hang gliding that I've been doing for years, but I didn't know any of them personally. I'm thinking what is best for me is to continue my slow progression at a pace that might be painful for others to witness, but is what is comfortable to me. I did sign up for a year with the TTT, so I am committed to the process. So if anyone decides to head down let me know, just don't expect to see me go off the mountain in conditions of more than a few mph.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
10-07-2014, 08:42 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Yes, I agree, Christopher's accident is on my mind every time I think of Henson's. I play over in my head about the report by witnesses of the high angle of attack his glider was at when he said "CLEAR". It makes me want to always be thinking about that angle when launching. Especially in wind that is strong enough for a wire crew. Your caution is a good thing Kim. I have to say though, that ramp is very easy to launch from in lite ridge soaring conditions.
10-08-2014, 03:26 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
One way to do a safe windy crew launch would be to go to Warren when the wind is 5-10 mph take off and land a few times then do the same with 10-15. Warren has the huge advantage of being a dune which allows for landing anywhere and sand is very forgiving.
10-08-2014, 05:22 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Completely different though Patrick. I've launched the dunes by myself in 15 mph winds, granted it's been a long time ago, back when I felt ten foot tall and bulletproof. Plus I was in a 201 square foot glider. If things go bad there, you can level out your glider and run some more, not so much at a cliff launch. The wind is completely different too, nice laminar flow up the sand dune, compared to wind hitting a cliff face and going vertical. Sure, I could get used to using a wire crew there, but that would be where the similarities end. Of course all of this is just my humble opinion, and I don't mean to sound negative. I do appreciate ALL input.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
10-09-2014, 02:54 PM,
Tennessee 10/3-5
Warren can be gusty too, ask James. Granted, it is not a cliff launch, but then consider Greenpoint: a ramp overseeing the lake bluff as in between Warren and Henson's. The idea is to break it down into manageable steps but with a Falcon, there is also the issue of penetrating. Perhaps a place to start would be Warren with 15-20 mph and then to go to Grenpoint. To break up with the curse of your friend passing there I would also launch at Henson's with 5-10 mph of wind. I would not launch at Henson's with more that 15 mph of wind eitherwith a Falcon, not after I found out how hard it was to penetrate at Richmond Dale with 20 mph gusts. You and I should start flying double surface gliders for winds above 15, unless it is Warren or Greenpoint with the LZ within 150 feet into the wind. Pilots at Henson's said with 15 mph and a Falcon, if you don't start climbing immediately you have to aim straight for the LZ. And what if it's gusting 20? You aim for the trees...?