Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
08-21-2015, 06:15 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
So, here's the thing. I'm on-call on Saturday, 7am to 7pm. I have to be within 45 of the hospital, which means I cannot hang out in Muncie. Gotta hang out in Indy. If you guys go flying, I'd join you as long as I'm not needed at the hospital. And if you let me borrow a wing I might even take a flight.

What's the consensus?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-22-2015, 09:24 AM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
What did you guys decide?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
08-22-2015, 11:13 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
Did anyone fly this weekend?
08-23-2015, 09:32 AM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
With a southwest wind, it made the use of our longer Sheridan road impossible. The drift would take the rope into the trees. So we ended up on the east/west road north of Tipton. James and Patrick both took two flights apeice and we called it an early day. Tows were reaching 1100ft into the 5-7 mph breeze.
I'm noticing we are deviating from our standard checklist for launching and seeing a desperate need for getting back to that. Possibly it's because we're the same three guys that are going out all the time and the familiarity is breeding complacency. Maybe the ones flying are just in too much of a hurry to get into the air. Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt, or worse. As the tow driver, here is what I want to hear from now on before I will even start a tow.

Hang check IS complete. This should include an actual hang check, chin strap, chute pins, leg loops check.

Glider is on the tow line.

Take up slack.

Glider is up.

CLEAR, CLEAR, CLEAR!

It really isn't that difficult, and it doesn't take that much time to do things right. If I have to, I'm going to laminate some cards with that on them and hand them out at the beginning of the day. Each one of the three pilots has a job, tow driver, launch coordinator, and pilot in command. We've been doing this long enough, that it should be second nature to us and we need to know better than to drop steps. Ok, I'm going to get off my soapbox now. We gotta look out for one another!
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-23-2015, 12:24 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
Sounds like there was a near miss? I'd love to hear about it and learn from that.

My hang check is always the same, you may have even noticed and I said it the last time I came out: I go from the top down. Hooked in and locked, chin strap, parachute pins, chest buckles, leg loops, clearance above bar.

Nobody has done that to me in a while, but it also is very irritating (and dangerous) when the radio operator takes it upon themselves to issue commands, like "pull tension", when I'm not ready. Radio operator's job is to be the parrot, to repeat what what the pilot in command says, and to abort if needed.

Anyways.

How were the two flights each? Any lift? It looked like there would be something to play in?
08-23-2015, 11:39 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
Well, if you call a launch without a helmet a near miss, then yes, we had one. In my opinion it's more of a complete failure, as well as a wake-up call. If we can miss that, we can miss anything.
When I drive tows, I always do the same thing. As I pull away to lay out line, I do a radio check. When I get to where we hook the line up, I say getting out to hook up. When I get back into the truck and am ready to proceed, I say hooked up and standing by. This is when ideally, I would like to hear, hang check is complete. Then the rest of the PILOTS commands, via the launch director.
I think this is the second time I've gone on a rant over this, and I really don't want to seem like a tow nazi. But safety needs to be paramount anytime we are out.

On the brighter side, everything turned out ok yesterday. Only a few 0's to be had as far as lift. No real extended flights.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
08-29-2015, 09:21 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
So. James and I flew today. Nothing spectacular. One flight each in bumpy air with no thermal. But we did. To stay in shape. With the electric car too.
I had a line break, and I have to say, I should have dropped it sooner. Nothing bad happened. But it was dragging on the ground, which means I waited too long.
In view of not catching a fellow pilot last week who was not wearing his helmet despite "doing" (should I say pretending) to do a hang check, and the general email sent by USHPA about this year's fatal accidents, I think we should review our procedures this winter. I recognize that habit brings complacency, our enemy. By the way Kim we did thorough hang checks today, but the devil of complacency lurked somewhere else today. Perhaps it is the strength of a "club" to be after each other about safety.
08-30-2015, 01:18 AM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
Absolutely, we have to look out for each other! I thought todays e-newsletter from the USHPA was very timely for this group in particular. Almost spooky, since I had just used the exact same words, complacency, to describe things happening the last couple of times we've been out. I love this sport, and the people in it, and want to do everything I possibly can to keep it as safe as possible. Glad you guys were able to get out without me today! I only shot 8 over par today, which is better than I've played in a while. Pretty amazing given the fact I'm swinging my clubs with only my upper body! Glad we all had a good day!
08-31-2015, 08:46 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
Hey Guys, Ian here incase you don't remember me, I flew with most of you one day back in 2012 at the Tipton scooter tow site. Just saying hi, I stop by here now and then to read what is going on with the club. I MAY be living in Indiana next year and it would be cool to fly with you!

And yes we should all be more vigilant about safety.

-Ian
08-31-2015, 11:39 PM,
Flying Saturday 8/22/15
Hey Ian, last time we heard from you I think you were flying in China or some exotic place. It would be great to see you again. That is if I can ever make it back to Tipton to fly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Sheridan on 7-7 or 7-8 pzirnhel 0 10,566 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  2017 flying Spfly2000 4 10,173 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Holiday weekend flying Michal M. 1 3,708 07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob
  Lets go flying. IndianaBob 28 6,882 06-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Last Post: IndianaBob
  Flying July 20th Kim Banker 1 6,752 07-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker