Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I dont want to be in any clubs. Please see my post.
08-29-2015, 09:01 PM,
What kind of site is it? A ridge? What orientation? Sure. Keep us informed.
08-29-2015, 11:15 PM,
Aurora possibly? (That site was flown years ago and I flew it once, but then it was neglected and it grew over.) Some long flights have originated from there.
08-30-2015, 09:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2015, 09:58 AM by IndianaBob.)
Yes that is one flying site I am trying to get and maintain. I to many years ago used to fly that site and made several flights there and flew there for several years , that area is also my childhood stomping grounds. I did go there a couple weeks ago and found it with no problem it have grown over and been neglected, the original property owner had passed away to whom I knew fairly well. I managed to find out who the new property owner is, he said and showed me papers of the last time anyone flew there, it has been about 19 years since anyone has flown there last. A lot has changed in that area, so much so that it is all unrecognizabe. There is more houses than you can count and and a new subdivision where the old dirt path went to the launch area. It is incredible how many homes are being built everywhere. One day this world will be a solid block of houses, no doubt in my mind. Anyway, I am waiting on a phone call from the property owner to further talk over the use of the old Laughter valley (Aurora) site. It needs a lot of work and since so much has changed and so many homes have been built it won't be easy and/ or the same.
08-30-2015, 11:30 PM,
Bob, last time we went flying, you talked of a ridge that was not accessible from the top but below which there was a road used to tow to gain altitude. It would be easy for us to come down there with a tow rig. Under the right conditions we all could get soaring flights and we would not need to clear any brush. Do you remember where this place is?
08-31-2015, 12:06 AM,
Yes. Patrick I like you. The place is called Lee Bottom Airport. I used to take care of the airstrip when the original owner had it (he has passed away) the new owner name is Richard he is very nice and should have no problem with it and it is a private airstrip so a FAA waiver should not be needed. The ridge there is about 2-3 miles long and is oriented south or south east I think it would be good.
08-31-2015, 12:20 AM,
The other property I think you might be thinking of has all been sold off to another person, the ridge is broken and probly no good for ridge soaring.
09-10-2015, 10:29 PM,
I just tried out one of the hills this evening that I have been working on. The launch and flight went good. Winds were light amd to late in evening for thermals so it was a sled ride. This week end looks better for a long flight. The launch is not done it still needs squared up on one side a little more. Soon to be a very good flying site.
09-13-2015, 10:06 AM,
I have spent another couple days at my new flying site cutting some more trees and cutting trees up, cleaning up the mess and sewed some grass seed. Talk about hard work, dang.this is going to be a very nice flying site.
09-17-2015, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015, 10:09 AM by IndianaBob.)
So, who of you have a current H2-P2 pilot rating or Higher and who of you have current experience and endorsements and feel confident their ability for a big hill launch over some trees? Also have a glider with good performance capabilities. As i mentioned in a prior post i have already made a good launch there. Although the glider performance may not be as important, I think one could throw a rock over the launch and clear it over the trees. I'm not sure but the my new flying site should be ready very soon.
09-17-2015, 01:52 PM,
Sounds intriguing and exciting. Can't wait see it and fly it!
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey