Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's get to work!
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM,
Let's get to work!
How about a working trip to Madison on Sunday, and then (hopefully) some flying in the afternoon?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM,
Let's get to work!
If the weather's anything like it has been, I am definitely down... does anyone else know the people that own the land at the Madison launch? Jeff is due back from Cancun on Saturday- not sure if he'll be up to the trip out to Madison.

...I'll keep watching the weather and this post and see who all wants to come out/what tools can be brought...
Soaring since June 2009 - H2 - AT FL CL FSL - Northwing Horizon 180 Blue/Gold/White - Secretary/Treasurer of Kentuckiana Soaring.
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM,
Let's get to work!
Kim said we need to do a lot of work before it's safe to launch there again, so getting in touch with the launch land owners is critical .... I'm sure Kim will chime in here tonight.
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM,
Let's get to work!
I certainly don’t want to play the part of buzz kill on this much needed project, but... This weekend would in my estimation be a bad idea for several reasons. While I have met the launch owner I have only seen the LZ owner in passing and she is the one who owns the ground where the work needs to be done. I think Jeff has had contact with both, but I might be mistaken about that. I’m sure he will be very jet lagged this weekend. The area where the trees need cut is only accessible by ropes and harnesses down a 45+ degree slope from the top and that whole cliff face is probably one gigantic waterfall with the rain we’ve had. Chainsaws and slick exposed limestone IMHO are not a favorable combination. Especially if I’m the one with the chainsaw.Rolleyes To top that off the LZ may very well be underwater. But then I’m no hydrologist...
I love the attitude that I’m seeing though, and fully plan to get this accomplished sooner rather than later. I have most of the tools needed to do the majority of the work. Chainsaw, plenty of ropes, and three harnesses.
Jeff and I have spent the better part of two days and Rich joined us for one of those and we’ve barely made a dent. Of course we’re all a bunch of old dudes so any youthful exuberance would be much appreciated! I’d be glad to go down and show it to ya’ll sometime if you want to see what we are up against.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
03-02-2011, 10:31 PM,
Let's get to work!
Buzzkill!!! Buzzkill!!!! Buzzkill!!!! Big Grin

Yeah, I hear ya. I didn't think it through. Another thing I noticed is a pretty high probability or rain/snow. Oh well, there'll be another day ....
03-03-2011, 12:26 AM,
Let's get to work!
I am completely serious about taking a non-flying trip down to show it to you if you get bored or want to get out of the house for an afternoon. Michal you would be welcomed to meet me at my house or somewhere in Shelbyville and I would drive the rest of the way down. It is a beautiful view overlooking Madison and the river. Who knows, Jeff and Keith could carpool up and we could all meet up. Jeff definitely knows it better than I do.
I feel your pain though, I'm in bad need of some good air time too! I just want it to be as safe as possible...
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM,
Let's get to work!
Let's plan on a non-flying working weekend, providing the weather is keen on us. I'm free March 12-13 and/or 19-20. It needs to be done and better sooner than later. Once the flying season really takes off we'll find a little motivation to put work before play. I don't have any ropes or climbing gear, but I can borrow a chainsaw to bring.
03-14-2011, 04:53 PM,
Let's get to work!
Anyone up for a hard day's work at Madison launch this weekend? I can do either one or both of the days.
03-14-2011, 07:58 PM,
Let's get to work!
I am thinking Saturday. That gives me a day to recuperate from the work involved. I haven't spoken with any of the owners, but am just thinking of talking to them when I get there. So I'm thinking of a very small work party, just in case. Don't know if Jeff will be interested in coming out or not...
If it happens, bring a change of clothes and a change of shoes. It can get very muddy and my ropes are coated with aluminum dust which gets on anything they touch. Stay tuned!
03-14-2011, 09:11 PM,
Let's get to work!
That's the spirit!!! I hope more people can make it. It'd be a long day with very little to show for it if it's just the two of us Cool

What do I need to bring?

Edit: Ken W from the Ohio gang is planning on landing a hand. That's 3!! Yepeee!!