Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labor Day at Madison
09-04-2011, 02:53 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
The forecast hasn't looked better yet since we've re-opened the site. I hope many of you can make it and that you all have long and enjoyable flights and landings you can brag about.

I really would like to make it but I highly doubt anyone will just pick up my holiday call for me and that my wifey will just let me go and celebrate Labor day without me. I'll be the sacrificial lamb and take one for the team, you're welcome!
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
09-04-2011, 06:54 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
Believe it or not, I got my call covered, my wife won't be back from out of town till the evening, I AM GOING TO MADISON!!!

I talked to Kent, he is coming as well.

Anyone else?
"I saw on this nature show how male elk douses himself with urine to smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!!" ~Deep thought by Jack Handey
09-04-2011, 10:06 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
Hope safe speedy travel for you all tomorrow, looking forward to meeting you and learning as much as I can.

Regards
Matt
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
matttrue Wrote:Hope safe speedy travel for you all tomorrow, looking forward to meeting you and learning as much as I can.

Regards
Matt

Looking forward to meeting you as well. I'm anxious to see your backyard, and what possible LZs there are below. Regardless, it will be a blast!
09-05-2011, 07:08 AM,
Labor Day at Madison
James Asher is joining as well, Kent is picking him up on his way down.

3 pilots, that's officially a party!!! :-)
09-05-2011, 10:20 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
What a blast!!!

We all arrived within minutes of each other. Checked out the LZ, put up a streamer and up to the top to set we rushed, as it was coming straight in and it was obvious there was more than enough velocity. James was ready in no time, I don't think I had half my battens in yet and he was inching his way to the launch. Anxious for much needed airfix he didn't hesitate, took maybe, and that's MAYBE two steps and up he went. Up up up an up. Must have been 300' over launch in two passes? It was working!!

I launched second, about half an hour later. James has landed by then, I'm sure he'll chime in with his details. Launching in this 15 mph wind was much easier than a week ago in 10mph. Didn't take but a few passes and I too found myself well over launch. The air was definitely textured, but nothing like the roller coaster Richmond Dale earlier this spring. Even with the overcast skies the thermal activity was there, and the embedded cummies were a proof of that. Kent launched about 25 minutes after me and for the next half an hour we were sharing the ridge and trading spots on the "west spine elevator". That's where we'd tank up, over the spine west of the launch, then zoom down to the east end of the ridge, lose a little and come back west to get back up. For the vast majority of our flights we were between 300' - 400' over launch. On a couple of occasions we'd find a stronger gust at the right place at the right time and go above 500'. I must have caught a thermal as towards the end of my flight I beamed up to 850' over launch. My video stopped recording at 1 hr 5min, not sure why, and I was still pretty high, judging form my gestures (yelling at the guys down at the LZ) probably 10 minutes before landing. I'll have to check my vario log for the total flight duration. I overshot the LZ, as usually, and landed probably 50ft to the West of the ditch. An OK landing, had better, but didn't drop the glider and ran it out. It was a "many-stepper", wish I had it on video to learn from it.

Rustin from OH showed up before I landed and when we all got back up for the rest of our stuff, he was ready to give it a go. Nice launch but without vario Rustin didn't take too long and headed for the LZ.

What a great day at this gorgeous site!! Even losing my cell phone didn't spoil the fun!

P.S.: I'd like to remind everyone ... I'm sure you all know, but in all the excitement it's easy to forget: it is a standard procedure and a pilot courtesy at any and all LZs, but especially in those challenging tight LZs, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, land and then get out of the way!! No reason for your glider(s) to be sitting in the middle of an already small LZ for an hour! It looks huge when you're standing in it, but from up high when making an approach over trees, river and power lines, it is not that big. Thank you!
09-05-2011, 10:24 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f279/m...20Gliding/

Check this link (copy and paste) if it works its about half of the pics I took. They are too large to load direct to the site.

Thanks a million guys for the invite today it was a pleasure meeting you and great you let me learn today. Hope next time you come yard will look better and We'll fore up the grill!
09-05-2011, 10:36 PM,
Labor Day at Madison
Nice pictures, thanks! Mark my words, we'll take you up on that grill-out invitation! :party:
09-06-2011, 12:36 AM,
Labor Day at Madison
I took one for the team today by staying away from Madison, thus guaranteeing great conditions! Wish I could have been there to meet Matt and see everyone get good airtime. If I didn't have family in from TN for the whole weekend I definitely would have joined you.
Thrilled to hear that James got back into the air after quite a while. I do hope he posts up about it when he gets the chance. I also hope to hear something from Kent about his first experience in recent years at Madison. Glad to hear that everyone had a safe soaring day. I'm jealous and I'm sure Jeff will be too!
Thanks for the pictures Matt, and thanks Michal for the flight report.:great:
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de St. Exupery
09-06-2011, 06:54 AM,
Labor Day at Madison
I just wrote a nice post and it just disappeared. I don't have time to write it again now. I had a great time. It was good to meet James, Matt and his brother and father, and Rustin.

Kent

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Madison 11/1/14 Michal M. 1 2,154 11-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Kim Banker
  Kite Day in Zionsville: some sky visible under our wings pzirnhel 0 7,521 04-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Last Post: pzirnhel
  Madison 3-2-14 and 3-3-14 Michal M. 1 10,019 03-01-2014, 09:54 PM
  Madison on Friday 9/13 Michal M. 8 3,330 09-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Flying Labor Day weekend Michal M. 14 3,913 09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Michal M.
  Greetings from Madison Michal M. 10 3,651 08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Last Post: dksmithson
  Madison this Sat 10/27 Michal M. 10 2,548 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
  Great Day at Look Out... POPPY 1 950 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM